Sunday, May 4, 2008

May 4, 2008 - We've Completed Our First Leg!

Don't forget to check out our itinerary at:
 
 
Well, we've made it to Marietta, GA without mishap - completing the first leg of our journey. We plan to be here for a month. 
 
We have a few minor RV tasks to accomplish before we start our next leg, but nothing other than routine maintenance. For the most part, we hope to enjoy some rest and relaxation with our son and daughter-in-law and grandson. We had a great stay, for two nights, at F.D. Roosevelt State park at Pine Mountain, GA. On Saturday the weather was a bit gray, with occasional drizzle, but for a couple of travelers who've lived in England - not enough to slow us down. 
 
Mostly the day was spent touring the 'Little White House' in Warm Springs, GA. This is where President Franklin Delano Roosevelt bought land and built a home in 1932. He believed that the warm springs would help his Polio. Although there was no cure, this became the spot where he was most comfortable during the rest of his life. (It was here where he came, after meeting with Joseph Stalin and Winston Churchill at Yalta in the final days of World War II - never returning to Washington D.C.) He died in Warm Springs on April 12, 1945) 
 
At the Visitor Center for The Little White House we watched a film about FDR's life. In the film there was a story about a handicapped little four year old Warm Spring's girl who he befriended - helping her to overcome some of her disability. Later in the day, as we toured the famous warm spring baths, we met an elderly woman who asked us if we'd ever heard about how FDR Had helped a young girl back in 1936. She went on to give us her 'first-hand' account of the story, as she was Suzanne Pike - the young girl befriended by FDR! It seems that the president had promised that if she could learn to stand and walk in braces, he would give her a special surprise. As it turned out, she did indeed learn to manage the braces, and so she was invited to The Little White House to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with the president. For us, hearing the story from 'Suzie' (as FDR called her - she called him 'Rosie') was the highlight of our visit to Warm Springs. 
 

Donna with Suzanne Pike

In the evening we headed to the small town of Cataula, where our friends Faye & Glenn recently bought a home. (We met them a few years ago when we first came to Marietta in our motorhome.) We very much enjoyed 'catching up' with them, and enjoyed a wonderful dinner that Faye prepared for us. 

Now that we are in Marietta for a month, there probably won't be a lot of 'blogging' - until we set out for points East on June 4. Until then, we hope all are well, and we look forward to your comments here at BounderAcrossAmerica!!

Donna & Glen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen and Donna, I'm glad to hear you arrived safely. We can't wait to see you in Eagan, MN in July!! Happy Travels!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Nice website! Your itinerary is so detailed, but that's what I expect from two people who have to stay organized while living in a motor home!

Looking forward to checking your blog for the latest news on your travels.

Take care and safe travels,

Anna Mae

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip across America you are having - truly the trip of a lifetime!

I have visited Warm Springs many times but never stopped at the Little White House, although I have seen signs.

Next time I will make it a point to go there and maybe I will meet Suzanne Pike too - what an interesting person!

We will see you in Marietta for dinner on June 2nd - really looking forward to it!

Happy traveling to both of you -
Jeannie (Henri)

Anonymous said...

If this post largely repeats another, it’s because I tried to “preview” my original and ended up “disappearing” it. (That’s computer talk for … I don’t know what the heck happened. Maybe it posted or maybe it didn’t.)

Donia and I got your e-mail and are happy we’ll be able to check up on you via your blog. Looks like your Bounder Blog is off to a good start.

Your itinerary is awesome. What a great adventure you are in store for. It looks like the closest your route will bring you to Albuquerque, however, is El Paso—and that for only two days next January.

We are busy as bees here in our new community, which…finally after two years…is starting to feel like “home.” Donia is tutoring a little girl at local elementary school who needs extra help in reading. She’s also volunteering at the food bank of the Jewish Community Center. And she QUILTS, QUILTS, QUILTS!!!!

I’m spending lots of time playing bridge, as usual. I’ve also been pursuing two new interests: Tai Chi and Buddhism. Before retiring I lacked the time for either, and during our life on the road I was never long enough near a big enough city to find a teacher or a sangha. I’m afraid I’m bombing out on Tai Chi. I have a great deal of trouble remembering what move follows which. (Not unlike my couple of attempts to learn country line dancing while on the road.)

Buddhism is proving a more enduring interest. I find meditation satisfying and I’ve met many cool people in our weekly meeting and in workshops. In fact I’m going to be going on an eight day contemplative retreat in a couple of weeks in Santa Fe, which will be held in total silence. (Wish me, Mr. Bigmouth, good luck!)

Settling in Albuquerque is turning out to be one great choice we made in life. It’s a wonderful town full of interesting and diverse people, cultural activities, dog parks, outdoor activities, local theater and opera. Plus Donia is starting school again, just down the street, at University of New Mexico. The tuition for Seniors is practically free and Doni turns 65 just before fall semester starts! She’ll begin with two graduate courses, and she’s taking them for credit in case she decides to seriously pursue a second masters degree (or maybe even a PhD!)

Albest,
Mark
markmsteele (at) comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen,

Thinking about you and hoping you and your wife are having a wonderful time!

Jo-Ann at The Writing Bridge

Anonymous said...

Donna, Hope you guys have a great Memorial Day weekend. I did send you an email.....I had misunderstood some vital info about your trip!
Gloria Smith
redhatglo
Georgia (now in Utah)

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen & Donna~ I hope you are having a wonderful time on your extended vacation. I really enjoy reading your blog. You are so very organized with your trip. It can't help but go well.!!
All I can say is enjoy every minute.!! See you when you get back. I will look forward to reading all of your blogs.
Bill & Mary

Anonymous said...

Hello again Glen & Donna! Your trip sounds so awesome. Your descriptive words make me feel like I am with you! Love it and I'm jealous -- would rather be in a bounder across america! :):) See you real soon! Eagan, Minnesota here you come!!!
Donna Voye